Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Challenge #2

"Keep her safe for me, now." He said, handing me the keys. As I took the cold metal into my hands, his calloused hand brushed against mine and a chill went down my spine. It was something about the feel of a working man's hand that made me feel uneasy. It was like you could read their entire story in the lines etched onto their palms by years of hard work.

"I will." I promised. I put the keys into my pocket and watched him get into his car. I shut the door for him and he rolled the window down so I could hear him.

"Now, remember, I'll be back on Thursday, so you just have to check on the house every day and give Anna her dinner." He said, referring to his old house cat. I listened intently as he gave the house-sitting instructions to me over again. The sixty year old widower was in need of a vacation, and I was more than happy to help give that to him.

"Yes, and I know the numbers to call in case of an emergency." I said, continuing the instructions with a smile. He smiled back at me.

"Good girl." He put the car into reverse and looked back up at me. "I'll see you Thursday." He said, rolling the windows up. "Thanks again."

"You're welcome. I'll see you then." I said, watching him drive out of the driveway. I waved until he turned a corner down the street and I could no longer see him.

I quickly went inside the house using the set of keys he had given me. The scent of his house intrigued me and calmed me down. It represented the exact feel of the house and furnishings. The furniture was old and comfortable, made from worn, woven fabric and the appliances like the stove all had dial timers. It was a comfortable feeling, like you might feel if you walked into an old cottage in the middle of a forest.

I filled a glass measuring cup with water from the tap and poured it into the cat's water dish. I replaced the measuring cup on the counter and made my way to the front door to lock the house and leave. I noise from the back bedroom made me turn suddenly. I had just passed that cat on the way out, so there was no way she could’ve made the noise. I listened carefully, and what I heard made my heard jump into my throat. I heard footsteps.

And they were coming this way.

5 comments:

  1. Here...

    I couldn't tell who these footsteps belonged to. But I wasn't going to take chances. I bolted away, into a forest. The footsteps drew nearer.
    Suddenly, a hand grabbed at my shoulder. I gasped, my heart pounding 100 times quicker.
    "Shhh! They'll hear you!"
    Two girls stood on ether side of me.One, on my left, had red hair and topaz eyes. The other had Black hair and blue eyes.
    "W-w-who are y-you?" I stuttered, in near shock.
    The black haired one said, "I'm Melody, and she's Rosalyn."
    "It's Lorelei." Rosalyn said, "I feel it. She's back for us."
    "Who's Lorelei??" I was confused.
    Melody explained, "We don't come from here. Rosalyn and I are from Germany, and so is Lorelei. Problem is, Lorelei's mad at us-"
    "-Because we escaped from her song. She sits on a rock by the Rhine river and sings a siren's song-" Rosalyn added in.
    "-and drowns them. But we escaped-and-and-she's back for us." Melody ended.


    That's all i think of. You add on, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an awesome site! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i took a heavy breath filled with fear. I knew there was something strange going in this house from when i first stepped foot i it. I grabbed the measuring cup as quick as possible hoping i could hit it unconscious..... Every thing froze.... silence..."the lone bull gaze at the humble sky, The bird and the bugs are all asking "oh why", the magic the wonder the mystery free, Oh Please o wise one come and help me" a quiet, crisp,haunting almost beautiful voice spoke, I didn't know if i actually heard it or thought it. I slowly approached the music. Sing loud to the moon..... it just kept going on... when between the two mountains.... i touched the doorknob, it felt so cold it felt numbing... true riches you'll find, not gold flooded fountains... in the room sat a woman. The woman had pale skin.
    "girl, i need your help" she said.
    "Who are you"
    " My name is Beatrice"
    " Why are you here" i said is a strong powerful voice.
    " time is running out, my world is coming to an end" she whispered.
    " I will help you" i told her. She nodded, then vanished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lissamel, finish my "What happens next"!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caitybug, your ending is awesome, and thanks for the comment :D, and Lissamel, I love yours. Here's something you could use if you're looking for more.

    "Siren song?" I asked. I thought those type of things only existed in storybooks. I thought back to the greek legends I'd heard and anything else that would mention sirens. "That's impossible." I said.
    "You don't believe us." It wasn't a question, nor a sentence laiden with dissapointment or anger. It was simply a stated fact.
    I shook my head and shut my eyes tight, hoping to make sense of the situation. "Ok," I said, "If all of this is true, what...I mean, what would she do to you guys if...if she..."
    "She would kill us." Rosalyn said. I swallowed and my mouth went dry all of the sudden.
    "And what about me? What would she do to m-"
    "She would kill you." Rosalyn stated, seemingly in a way only she could.
    "Rosalyn, don't scare her!" Melody argued on my behalf.
    "Well, it's true. Either Lorelei will sing to her and then kill her while she's in the trance, or she will escape the trance and Lorelei will kill her out of anger." Rosalyn was beginning to scare me.
    "Still, you don't have to be so blatant!" Melody said. They kept arguing like this for some time, but I didn't hear it. I was far too busy trying to grasp that I had just entered a situation where my continued exsistence was not likely. It would take everything I had to get out of this alive. I just prayed it would be enough.

    Hope you can use this.
    Keep the comments coming, I love to hear 'em! :D

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete